Things That Matters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Human Cloning

3 posters

Go down

Human Cloning Empty Human Cloning

Post  Skiyk Wed May 14, 2008 8:08 am

Is this new innitiative viable and ethical?
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Human Cloning Empty Re: Human Cloning

Post  russell Wed May 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Skiyk wrote:Is this new innitiative viable and ethical?

Viable for what? As for ethics, people that are cloned are just as much people as everyone else. As long as that is respected, ethics are no issue.
russell
russell
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Skiyk Wed May 14, 2008 7:49 pm

-cough- Viable as in, it could be used to create greater populous for smaller nations and many people may clone humans who have specific interests (such as farming which was discussed). Would this be a good use of our resources (Would the pay-off outweigh the pay)
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  russell Wed May 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Skiyk wrote:-cough- Viable as in, it could be used to create greater populous for smaller nations and many people may clone humans who have specific interests (such as farming which was discussed). Would this be a good use of our resources (Would the pay-off outweigh the pay)

Oh, so you mean totally growing a human in a controlled environment, without the use of a host human? That may work well for increasing populations, but it would severely decrease genetic diversity. If you're talking about implanting cloned embryos into host humans, then it is not faster than natural reproduction, because you can only have one growing per human.
russell
russell
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Skiyk Thu May 15, 2008 7:52 am

Basically the first one if you are talking about cloning whole humans. I was getting at cloning human organs for use in transplants and such.
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 pm

I think natural reproduction is better. And, when you clone something, they are not exactly the same. It's not like my father is great at piano and I am also.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thingsthatmatters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Skiyk Thu May 15, 2008 8:12 pm

But you can say clone Tony Blair who has natural talent with speaking and making decisions but then raise that clone from birth to speak and make decisions. You have the perfect leader. (Tony Blair was the Prime Minister of England. He was good)
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  russell Thu May 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Skiyk wrote:I was getting at cloning human organs for use in transplants and such.

That would be fantastic. It would be able to overcome most life-threatening long-term illnesses, and negate many effects of aging. Humans would live much longer lives.
russell
russell
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Skiyk Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 pm

That's what I thought. It is possible too. Some scientists are going as far as to say it will cause eternal life. I don't know about that but yes, many diseases will become relatively easily cured.
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  russell Thu May 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Skiyk wrote:That's what I thought. It is possible too. Some scientists are going as far as to say it will cause eternal life. I don't know about that but yes, many diseases will become relatively easily cured.

Eternal life, maybe. Eternal consciousness? That's a much bigger problem. You may be able to keep a body alive indefinitely by forever replacing its organs, but the actual mind of that person will not be preserved once the brain fails. The next step is to find out how to rebuild a brain so that it would produce the exact same consciousness as the person once had. It is a concept that makes cloning of individual organs look simple.
russell
russell
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Skiyk Thu May 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Well I don't think there's much we can do about that. Healthy organs will allow the human to live much longer. Maybe in the future we will have mandatory organ transplants, eh?
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun May 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Or we could just become cyborgs.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thingsthatmatters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Skiyk Sun May 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Well, I, personally, would be horrified to look down at my chest and realize it is a bunch of gears. We were given bodies for a reason. Science isn't about doing as much as you can, there is a limit. If humans weren't meant to die then don't you think we would have mutated to keep ourselves alive? Even a bit?
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  russell Fri May 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Skiyk wrote:We were given bodies for a reason.

What reason is that?
russell
russell
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Skiyk Sat May 31, 2008 12:24 pm

To live...? We've lived with them for quite a while now. We don't need to upgrade them. Plus, think of the waste it would cause. Throwing out bodies and using our resources to make metal ones.
Skiyk
Skiyk
Mayor
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum